Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Stanley Cup Swag OFF: The Finals Edition






Pittsburgh Penguins vs The Detroit Red Wings


Red Wings lead the series 3-2

by Lisa Ovens



Battle of the Tiny Swag


I'm looking at this Red Wings Easter Egg Pin and I'm thinking how come Easter Hockey Swag isn't as big as St. Patrick Day's Hockey Swag? This is one of those tiny, little items that caught my eye while browsing hockey stuff. I found it at the Hockeytown Cafe a few year's ago and couldn't resist its power.



Just as the pin has the power, so do the Detroit Red Wings. After a 5-0 Game Five win, the Winged Wheel Warriors are preparing to end the season tonight in Pittsburgh. Having Pavel Datsyuk back in the line up is a shot in the arm for the Wings, and they are going to hope that the "Reunited and it feels so good" feeling carries over to Game Six. However, there are just a couple of little things to consider...

...the Pittsburgh Penguins are 8-2 on home ice this post season, and that, coupled with strong bounce back skills and an extra 8000 to 10,000 supporters oozing positive energy outside the Igloo, the boys have every chance to push this thrilling series to a seventh game. Game Five saw high scorin' Russian, Evgeni Malkin not scoring, and me thinks that anomaly is just that, an anomaly. Enter the pin..the Evgeni Malkin Drives the Zamboni pin is a fan favorite. (Rumor has it Mario Lemieux wears one, but he takes it off before Sidney gets home for dinner.)

And speaking of Sidney...




If ever there was a game for Captain Sidney Crosby to really, really step it up against last year's Conn Smythe winner, Henrik Zetterberg, today's game is it. It's time to score, Sidney. I think your landlord/ boss man would agree...

And speaking of Mario Lemieux...


How many times have we seen this shot during the Pens Playoff run? Is it just me, or do they look like short order cooks taking a break to watch a bit of a game on TV? Sorry, I just had to get one that out of my system...

Speaking of getting things out of my system...



I had to get some Crazy Bread last week, so I made the trek to Little Caesar's! I hadn't had the stuff in a couple of years. The doughy sticks haven't changed a bit.

Speaking of a couple of years....



It's been a couple of years since this guy on the right played. (I couldn't post a pic of Mario, and not Stevie Y) Steve Yzerman's sitting in Don Cherry's usual spot. Quick...imagine Steve wearing this suit jacket...




Yeah, Yzerman dressed in a Don Cherry suit is about as likely to happen as ooh, I don't know, Mario Lemieux being a short order cook.

And speaking of Don Cherry....he picked the Wings to Repeat as Stanley Cup Champions. Evgeni Malkin's parents beg to differ. I know I'm not ready for it to all end today...


Happy Game Six...everybody!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment